What to teach?
MyTide Disha curriculum has themes under which there are a variety of activities.
- 10 themes in the curriculum
- 10 themes are spread over the year
- Teach each theme for about 2 or 3 weeks.
The concepts in the themes follow a natural progression from the self to the outside world.
- knowing self
- knowing family
- extends to the neighbourhood
- the world around me.
The themes stay consistent across the three age groups of 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6. However, the complexity of the content increases, and children learn more about the concepts each year!
The activities are designed carefully, keeping in mind that children:
- learn in different ways
- learn at their own pace
- need a balance of a variety of activities. Singing rhymes with actions, playing with materials, storytelling, indoor activities and outdoor activities are a few.
- learn best with a bilingual or multilingual approach.
As a parent:
- Guide your child, and not force learning within a specified time
- You have the freedom to teach in a home language and gradually move to discussions in English.
- Be aware that every child has their own inquiry and learning journey
- Foster this inquiry to make their learning more meaningful.
How to teach?
Here are some sample activities from the 1st theme:
- Observe the different types of activities in each sample.
- Read the heading.
- Read the objective to know what your child will be learning from the activity.
- Follow the instructions while you do the activity with your child.
Using locally available materials
Apart from the materials suggested in the instructions cards, your home and surroundings provide plenty of learning materials that you can use to teach!
Some such materials that you can use while teaching your child are listed here. Look around and find more.
- Water bottles